The Benefits Of Regular Massage
By Kelly Price
Massage is an integral part of many physical rehabilitation programs
and the benefits of massage provide relief to people from all walks of
Here we will go through the benefits of massage and how they can help
anyone in terms of healing and relaxation.
What is Massage?
The benefits of massage as a healing therapy date back 4,000 years when
massage was used in traditional Chinese medicine to cure a number of conditions.
Massage is a ‘hands-on’ therapy. There are many variations,
ranging from a gentle stoking and kneading of muscles to firmer, deeper,
The benefits of massage affect the body as a whole and influences the
activity of the musculoskeletal, circulatory, lymphatic, and nervous systems.
Types of Massage
There are several types of massage available that offer different benefits.
• Aromatherapy Massage: Essential oils from plants are massaged
into the skin in order to enhance the healing and relaxing effects of
• Lymphatic Massage: Light, rhythmic strokes are used to improve
the flow of lymph throughout the body;
• Reflexology: Specialized thumb and finger techniques are applied
to the hands or feet;
• Shiatsu: Gentle finger and hand pressure are applied to specific
points on the body to relieve pain and enhance the flow of energy through
the body's energy pathways;
• Swedish Massage: A variety of strokes and pressure techniques
are used to enhance the flow of blood to the heart, remove waste products
from the tissues, stretch ligaments and tendons, and ease physical and
Other massage treatments, which may be more specialized include:
• Craniosacral Massage: Gentle pressure is applied to the head and
spine to correct imbalances and restore the flow of cerebrospinal fluid;
• Myofascial Release: Gentle pressure and body positioning are used
to relax and stretch the muscles, fascia and related structures;
• Polarity Therapy: A form of energy healing, used to stimulate
and balance the flow of energy within the body to enhance health and well-being;
• Rolfing: Pressure is applied to the fascia to stretch, lengthen
and make it more flexible, realigning the body so that it conserves energy,
releases tension, and functions better;
• Sports Massage: Often used on professional athletes and other
active individuals to enhance performance and prevent and treat sports-related
• Trigger Point Massage: Pressure is applied to "trigger points"
(tender areas where the muscles have been damaged) to alleviate muscle
spasms and pain. Benefits of Massage – How can massage help me?
The benefits of massage are extensive and include the ability to reduce
stress, relieve muscle tension and evoke feelings of calmness and relaxation.
Growing evidence suggests that if you allow regular periods of massage
in your schedule you will gain a sense of wellbeing be fitter and be healthier
in mind and body. The benefits of massage include:
• Enhanced flexibility and circulation
• Encourages lymphatic flow
• Assists venous flow of blood
• Reduces edema
• Stimulates sensory receptors of the skin and subcutaneous tissues
• Improved self-esteem
• Provides gentle stretching of the tissues
• Encourages endorphin release
• Stimulates or soothes nerves
Massage isn't capable of curing any serious or life-threatening medical
disorder. The benefits of massage however, can provide welcome relief
from back pain, muscle pain, headache and symptomatic relief of some psychological
Benefits of Massage – is it safe for everyone?
In general, massage is considered relatively safe.
However certain medical conditions require caution.
These include cardiovascular conditions and heart disease especially
in cases of thrombosis, phlebitis and oedema.
Pregnant women should avoid massage on the abdomen during the first three
months of pregnancy when the risk of miscarriage is highest.
After this period the benefits of massage during pregnancy can be enjoyed
and many practitioners specialize in this area.
If you are in any doubt, check with a qualified medical practitioner
before embarking on a course of massage therapy.
Benefits of massage – finding a therapist
There are many different ways that you can enjoy the benefits of massage.
You can choose from traditional couch massage, chair massage, normally
carried out in the office or similar location, or have a therapist come
to your home so that you can enjoy the benefits of massage in your own
The industry is an unregulated activity so ensure you use a reputable
organization and check that they have the necessary experience in the
discipline before trying massage treatment for yourself.
For More FREE info including more articles on the benefits of massage
and other info from trained masseurs visit http://www.privatelyyours.co.uk